It is time for my 2019 in books round up. Well, one of them! I’m literally just using THIS POST as inspiration and changing 2018 to 2019. Get yourself a cup of tea and get comfy! I know we technically haven’t finished 2019 yet… but I’m just getting in there early!
**2019 READING STATS**
NUMBER OF BOOKS YOU READ: 138
NUMBER OF RE-READS: 0
GENRE YOU READ THE MOST FROM: FANTASY?
1. BEST BOOK YOU READ IN 2019?
I REFUSE TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION.
2. BOOK YOU WERE EXCITED ABOUT & THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO LOVE MORE BUT DIDN’T?
The Girls by Emma Cline. I just wanted a lot more from it. It was fine, but I didn’t LOVE it. (I’m always looking for cult books if anyone has a recommendation for me!)
3. MOST SURPRISING (IN A GOOD WAY OR BAD WAY) BOOK YOU READ?
Sanctuary by V.V.James. I don’t read a lot of adult fantasy books because I generally find them quite hard going, but my god I DEVOURED this book. It is INCREDIBLE.
4. BOOK YOU “PUSHED” THE MOST PEOPLE TO READ (AND THEY DID)?
Lol, it would be a crime for me not to say Melinda Salisbury here because that is what I am MOST well known for, lets be real. I will forever shout about Mel’s books. Come at me.
5. BEST SERIES YOU STARTED IN 2019? BEST SEQUEL OF 2019? BEST SERIES ENDER OF 2019?
Best series I started? And Then I Turned Into A Mermaid – Laura Kirkpatrick
Best sequel? Patina – Jason Reynolds (I am ALL about this Run series, give me the new book INSTANTLY)
Best series ender? Maz Evans – Against All Gods (I am so so so deeply saddened this series is over)
6. FAVORITE NEW AUTHOR YOU DISCOVERED IN 2019?
I read quite a lot of books from new authors (either debuts or new to me) but I have to give this prize to Bethany Rutter. No Big Deal was a BIG DEAL to me this year and I just can’t wait to see what else she writes.
7. BEST BOOK FROM A GENRE YOU DON’T TYPICALLY READ/WAS OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE?
I find these questions really hard because I’m not a massively adventurous reader. I stick to what I know! Probably This Is Going To Hurt by Adam Kay though. That book needs to be read by every single person on this bloody planet because it is bloody brilliant.
8. MOST ACTION-PACKED/THRILLING/UNPUTDOWNABLE BOOK OF THE YEAR?
Now… action packed, thrilling and unputdownable are VERY DIFFERENT THINGS, but let me try and choose ONE book… Viper by Bex Hogan. That book definitely HAS A LOT going on. You should read it if you haven’t yet.
9. BOOK YOU READ IN 2019 THAT YOU WOULD BE MOST LIKELY TO RE-READ NEXT YEAR?
Now here we go again… everyone say it with me. I’m not much of a rereader. However I would be more than happy to reread a lot of the books I read in 2019. Mainly Song of Sorrow because I miss Luvian Fen so much.
10. FAVORITE COVER OF A BOOK YOU READ IN 2019?
It would be criminal for me to say that Circe isn’t my favourite cover of last year. That cover is DISGUSTINGLY beautiful (yes, I appreciate a shiny cover)
11. MOST MEMORABLE CHARACTER OF 2019?
Luvian bloody Fen. That fella HAS TAKEN OVER MY LIFE.
12. MOST BEAUTIFULLY WRITTEN BOOK READ IN 2019?
The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy. God guys. Just gosh.
13. MOST THOUGHT-PROVOKING/ LIFE-CHANGING BOOK OF 2019?
And The Stars Were Burning Brightly by Danielle Jawando. Excuse me. It’s not out til next year but you guys are IN FOR IT. This book is HEARTBREAKINGLY BEAUTIFUL.
14. BOOK YOU CAN’T BELIEVE YOU WAITED UNTIL 2019 TO FINALLY READ?
I mean it only came out in 2019, but I read A Curse So Dark and Lonely A LONG TIME after everyone else did.
15. FAVORITE PASSAGE/QUOTE FROM A BOOK YOU READ IN 2019?
GOD KNOWS. Like genuinely. Although the ending of Song of Sorrow is just what I needed and didn’t know I wanted.
16. SHORTEST & LONGEST BOOK YOU READ IN 2019?
Shortest – Why You Should Read Children’s Books, Even Though You Are So Old and Wise by Katherine Rundell (80 pages)
Longest – The Toll by Neal Shusterman (640 pages)
17. BOOK THAT SHOCKED YOU THE MOST?
The Boy Who Steals Houses by C.G.Drews. I didn’t expect to fall in love with that book quite as much as I did.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (YOU WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS SHIP!)?
Sorrow and Luvian 4lyf. (Although, me and Luvian too) But I must also give a shout out to all of the ships I definitely shipped this year.
19. FAVORITE NON-ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP OF THE YEAR?
Emily and the relationship she has with her body in No Big Deal by Bethany Rutter.
20. FAVORITE BOOK YOU READ IN 2019 FROM AN AUTHOR YOU’VE READ PREVIOUSLY?
LOTS OF THEM OK? I LOVE BOOKS.
21. BEST BOOK YOU READ IN 2019 THAT YOU READ BASED SOLELY ON A RECOMMENDATION FROM SOMEBODY ELSE/PEER PRESSURE/BOOKSTAGRAM, ETC.:
Circe by Madeleine Miller. Queen Mel kept recommending this, so obviously I read it.
22. NEWEST FICTIONAL CRUSH FROM A BOOK YOU READ IN 2019?
Malachi from With The Fire On High by Elizabeth Acevedo. He just seems like the sweetest sweetheart.
23. BEST 2019 DEBUT YOU READ?
A Pocketful of Stars by Aisha Bushby, The Strangeworlds Travel Agency by L.D.Lapinski or No Big Deal by Bethany Rutter. I read LOADS of amazing debuts this year!
24. BEST WORLDBUILDING/MOST VIVID SETTING YOU READ THIS YEAR?
Now while I could of course recommend Queen Mel here (the queen of world building), I’d also like to give a shout out to Sophie Anderson for her gorgeous settings in The Girl Who Speaks Bear.
25. BOOK THAT PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE/WAS THE MOST FUN TO READ?
Boot by Shane Hegarty.
26. BOOK THAT MADE YOU CRY OR NEARLY CRY IN 2019?
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL. See every book I read. Books that really broke my heart this year? Against all Gods, A Pocketful of Stars, They Both Die At The End, The Art of Being Normal, This Is Going To Hurt, And The Stars Were Burning Brightly.
27. HIDDEN GEM OF THE YEAR?
A Tale of Magic by Chris Colfer. I bought it on a whim because the kids at school love his other books and I just adored it.
28. BOOK THAT CRUSHED YOUR SOUL?
Lol, see my answers to Q26.
29. MOST UNIQUE BOOK YOU READ IN 2019?
High Rise Mystery by Sharna Jackson. The way it’s set out and written proper makes it stand out in my head!
30. BOOK THAT MADE YOU THE MOST MAD (DOESN’T NECESSARILY MEAN YOU DIDN’T LIKE IT)?
I Hold Your Heart by Karen Gregory. That book made me SO FUCKING cross. It’s well worth a read, but my god.
1. NEW FAVORITE BOOK BLOG/BOOKSTAGRAM/YOUTUBE CHANNEL YOU DISCOVERED IN 2019?
I don’t watch a lot of booktube to be honest, so I will tell everyone who is still reading to go and subscribe to my boy George Lester.
2. FAVORITE POST YOU WROTE IN 2019?
OH MY GOSH. I can not choose. I have quite a few!
3. FAVORITE BOOKISH RELATED PHOTO YOU TOOK IN 2019?
I don’t take great photos haha! So I’m not sure!
4. BEST BOOKISH EVENT THAT YOU PARTICIPATED IN (AUTHOR SIGNINGS, FESTIVALS, VIRTUAL EVENTS, ETC.)?
YALC is always a great highlight. I get to spend a few days with my favourite people in the world and books, what’s not to love? Mel Salisbury’s book launch was also bloody magnificent.
5. BEST MOMENT OF BOOKISH/BLOGGING LIFE IN 2018?
Chairing events with some of the authors I love and respect the most in the world is always an incredibly mind blowing thing to do!
6. MOST CHALLENGING THING ABOUT BLOGGING OR YOUR READING LIFE THIS YEAR?
Those times where my MH just doesn’t wanna play and therefore I don’t read/blog like I would love to be doing!
7. MOST POPULAR POST THIS YEAR ON YOUR BLOG (WHETHER IT BE BY COMMENTS OR VIEWS)?
Oooh. I’m not sure! Let me find out! THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY. My most viewed post is my #SixforSunday prompts post! YAY for #SixforSunday!
8. POST YOU WISHED GOT A LITTLE MORE LOVE?
Meh. I’m indifferent to this question. I don’t write things for people to like? I write things want to write!
9. BEST BOOKISH DISCOVERY (BOOK RELATED SITES, BOOK STORES, ETC.)?
*shrug* I don’t know my pals. I do not know.
10. DID YOU COMPLETE ANY READING CHALLENGES OR GOALS THAT YOU HAD SET FOR YOURSELF AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS YEAR?
I always set myself a Goodreads target and of course I smashed it!
1. ONE BOOK YOU DIDN’T GET TO IN 2019 BUT WILL BE YOUR NUMBER 1 PRIORITY IN 2020?
Lol. So many. I’m not sorry either. I’ve still not read THUG. *shrug*
2. BOOK YOU ARE MOST ANTICIPATING FOR 2020 (NON-DEBUT)?
OH MY GOD. HOLD BACK THE TIDE. OMG. WHY IS IT NOT OUT YET?
3. 2020 DEBUT YOU ARE MOST ANTICIPATING?
Is it cheating to say the one I’m most anticipating is one I’ve already read? Cause I don’t care for your rules.
4. SERIES ENDING/A SEQUEL YOU ARE MOST ANTICIPATING IN 2020?
I NEED the rest of the Run series by Jason Reynolds like now. I love that series.
5. ONE THING YOU HOPE TO ACCOMPLISH OR DO IN YOUR READING/BLOGGING LIFE IN 2020?
Just keep enjoying it. That’s all I ever want. As soon as I’m not enjoying it, that’s when I’ll stop blogging.
6. A 2020 RELEASE YOU’VE ALREADY READ & RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE (IF APPLICABLE):
MG – The Strangeworlds Travel Agency by L.D.Lapinski. Friends. It is EXCELLENT. I can’t wait for the world to experience it!
YA – And The Stars Were Burning Brightly by Danielle Jawando. It BROKE MY SOUL. Please read it when it comes out because it is going to break yours too.
TA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. You made it! Congratulations if you made it this far. Let me know in the comments if you made it this far and I might send you a little prize!